All-Through Education at The Gatwick School
The Gatwick School has been set up to establish an all-through school for children aged 4 to 16.
All-through state schools are rare but we feel that it is precisely what gives The Gatwick School a unique place in the local provision for schools.
Here are some of the reasons why we think an all-through education is so valuable and why we think it provides an exciting opportunity for our children:
- It removes the well-researched performance ‘dip’ at age 11
- It removes the learning barriers and age-old fears that many children face as they leave primary school and make the transition to a secondary school
- It enables primary aged children to benefit from having some specialist teaching at an early age, which means that gifted and talented children will be challenged and stretched
- It enables some children to benefit by having more time to develop their skills
- It enables older children to have the opportunity to develop leadership skills by mentoring younger children (which in turn promotes a healthy and positive school climate)
At The Gatwick School we have established a ‘House’ system to promote a sense of belonging and healthy competition amongst our children, young and old.
Younger and Older Children Working Together
During our two years it has been special to see so many and varied interactions which have led to very positive relationships being forged between our Reception children and students in Year 7.
- Whole school assemblies, which provide great opportunities for older children to act as role models and for themes to be explored at different levels
- Year 7, 8 and 9 students regularly visit Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 classes and have buddied up with younger ones, eg by listening to them read etc. This has inspired our Primary students to demonstrate confidence in reading an oral expression